Managing CAA Records
Table of Contents
The instructions in this article assume you’re familiar with the CAA record format and usage.
CAA records are only supported on the DNSimple name servers. We don’t support transferring CAA records to secondary name servers.
Standard mode vs custom mode
The DNSimple interface allows you to manage CAA records using two different modes:
- The standard mode provides a pre-populated interface to help enter the appropriate values for the CAA record. allows you to create a CAA record to allow a certificate authority. allows you to create a CAA record to specify the email for reporting policy violations.
- The custom mode () allows you to modify the CAA record tag/value values directly.
We don’t support the ability to specify via interface the destructured CAA record value representation. You can’t enter the following text:
0 issue "letsencrypt.com"
Adding a CAA record
To add a CAA record to allow a Certificate Authority
In the record editor, click and select to add a new CAA record.
Select the tab.
Enter the CAA record information.
Name: the subdomain you want to create the record for, without the domain name. For example, if you want to represent
www. Leave it blank to represent the root domain
- Provider: the Certificate Authority you want to allow.
- Certificate type: the type you want to allow.
As with any other DNS record, you can configure:
- TTL: the record time-to-live.
- Respond From Regions: Configure Regional Records if desired.
- Notes: Optionally include a record note.
Once you’re ready, click to confirm and create the record.
- Name: the subdomain you want to create the record for, without the domain name. For example, if you want to represent
The record is created and visible in the record list.
Updating a CAA record
To update a CAA record
In the record editor, search for the record and click on the pencil icon to edit it.
Update the information and click to save the record.
Removing a CAA record
To remove a CAA record
In the record editor, search for the record and click on the trash icon to delete it.
Confirm the dialog to delete the record.