Using DNSimple alongside other DNS providers
If you want to set up automatic zone transfers (AXFR) between DNSimple and another DNS service provider, head to the Add a secondary DNS server to DNSimple and Add DNSimple as a secondary DNS server articles
You can combine our secondary DNS feature with our API or UI to have zone redundancy with other DNS providers. You’re responsible for keeping the zones in sync between other DNS providers and DNSimple. There are several ways to do this:
- Adding the records manually through our UI.
- Importing a zone file from your primary provider.
- Using our API.
- Use “infrastructure as code” tools such as Terraform, OctoDNS, and DNSControl
This diagram shows how zone changes are propagated to both DNS service providers:
Configuring DNSimple along another DNS provider
To set up zone redundancy with another DNS provider:
- If you don’t have the domain in your DNSimple account, add it with “use DNSimple services”.
- Go to the domain page, and click on the DNS in the menu.
Under the Secondary DNS card, click on .
Enter the name servers of your primary DNS provider in the field.
- Click on .